The United States Department of Agriculture has strict guidelines for labeling. These guidelines are meant to protect the consumer from misleading or vague ingredient listings and claims. However, the label approval process can be extensive and arduous. FSIS, the Food Safety and Inspection Service, has provided a list of the most common labeling mistakes to avoid. To see the full list and for more in-depth information on these mistakes and how to fix them, visit USDA’s website here.
Many of these labeling mistakes affect the work flow of your label printing project as well. To avoid delays, the following are especially important:
4. The formulation, processing procedure, or supporting documentation do not agree with or validate information and/or claims on the label, e.g., "lemon, thyme, pepper" claim on label but the formulation does not indicate that the spices contain thyme and pepper. Ensure that all ingredients are listed on both the label and application form.
6. Product name is incorrect. Ensure that the product name is used consistently throughout the label copy.
7. Ingredients statement problems. Ensure that all ingredients are listed using their common name and in the order of amount used.
8. Nutrition facts problems. Ensure the proper amounts are listed for reference.
9. Nutrient content claims are incomplete or do not comply with regulatory requirements, e.g., reference statement and quantitative information of comparative claims. Example: The FSIS does not allow nutrient additives to meat and poultry.
10. Undefined nutrient content claims are used, e.g., leaner, low carbohydrate, very low in fat. Ensure that the claims are defined in the USDA regulations.
We want to make sure that your label project goes as smoothly as possible! Are you ready to get started? Contact us for a quote today!
Golden Nectar is a microbrew based in the outskirts of Boston, Massachusetts. This microbrew is…
As more states across America are allowing the recreational and medicinal use of marijuana, there…
Thrival Design Collective , a creative agency based in Los Angeles, California, created conceptual…
Textured labels can be created through a number of different avenues, from textured paper to…
We will be closed for New Year’s Day on Monday, January 1st. We will reopen on Tuesday, January 2nd.
PO Box 1507
Westfield, Ma 01086
539 North Road
Westfield, Ma 01085